Dhanteras Puja is performed on the day of Dhantrayodashi. Dhanteras translates into wealth on the thirteenth day. It falls on the thirteenth day of dark fortnight in the month of Kartik as per Hindu calender. Dhanteras represents the celebration of Maa Lakshmi, the one who bestows wealth and prosperity on us. We also pray to Lord Dhanvantri, Lord Kuber and Yama Dev on this day to seek blessings for a long and fulfilling life.
Significance of Dhanteras Puja:
As per a legend, there was a prophecy that King Hima’s 16 year old son would die within four days of his marriage as a result of a snake bite. Due to such a startling prophecy, his wife grew worried and did not allow him to sleep. She locked him in a room and filled the chamber with gold and silver coins and Jewellery.When Yama approached at midnight in the form of a snake, his eyes were dazzled with the brilliance of illuminating gold and he could not enter the chamber. The snake crawled to the top of the heap of Gold, but could not reach the king’s son to kill him. The snake quietly went away in the morning.
Hence the practice of lighting a Diya for Yama was born to keep the untimely death at bay. Women light lamps to honor Lord Yama – the god of death, by lighting a Diya at the entrance of the house facing south direction, which should be kept lit the whole night. As many as 13 Diyas are lit around the house to keep the house illuminated.
Some of the other rituals include praying to Lord Kubera with elaborate Puja rituals and offering flowers. Lord Dhanvantri is also worshipped on this day to seek good health. His Puja is performed with a ritualistic bath followed by offering Kumkum, Akshata and flowers along with nine different types of Grains as a symbol of Navdhanya.
Hence Dhanteras Puja involves worshipping Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Kubera, Lord Dhanvantri and Lord Kubera.
Benefits of Dhanteras Puja:
Dhanteras Puja is performed to reap a number of benefits like
Gaining Wealth and Prosperity.
- For financial success in business, new ventures and undertakings.
- Better overall health.
- Protect children and family members from illness and hazards.
Occasions to Perform Dhanteras Puja:
Dhanteras Puja is performed during Diwali on the day of Trayodhashi, which marks the first day of the five day long Diwali festival. The day is also celebrated as Dhanvantri Jayanti, honoring the Lord Dhavnatri - the Lord of Ayurveda and the incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Dhanteras Puja Vidhi:
Dhanteras Puja is performed as per Muhurat to worship Maa Lakshmi and Lord Kuber to seek blessings for prosperous and a happy life.
- The Puja begins with placing low wooden Paat – Aasana, in the most auspicious direction.
- Cover the wooden Paat with a piece of new unused red cloth.
- Place a handful of grains – either rice or wheat, on the left side on the wooden Paat.
- Now fill a Copper Kalash with water that rises to about 3/4th level, put some flowers and rice grains along with silver or regular coins. Place five betel or mango leaves on kalash and place a plate full of rice grains over it. Place the Kalash over the bed of grains laid out on the wooden table.
- Draw a Swatika with Kumkum on the Kalash and Lotus with turmeric powder on the rice grains in the plate.
- Place the Ganesha and Lakshmi Murti next to the Kalash on the right side over a Betel leaf. Place ungrounded Haldi in front of the Kalash.
- Close your eyes to call Lord Ganesha, Maa Lakshmi and Lord Kubera to witness and accept your Puja and you begin
- Now place Lord Ganesha’s idol in a Thali to perform the ritualistic bath. The bath is carried out by first pouring clean water over the idol, then Panchamrut followed by cleansing through water and finally offering incensed water followed again by clean water. Bathe Maa Lakshmi’s idol as well following the same steps. Pat dry the idols and place them back on wooden Paat.
- Offer Haldi, Kumkum, saffron Paste, Abeerm Gulal, flowers and Akshata to both Lord Ganesha and Maa Laxmi. Adorn Maa Lakshmi with a garland of cotton beads.
- Now clean pieces of silver coins, jewelry or other precious items with Panchamrut and water. Pat them dry and place on the table. Sprinkle kumkum and akshata over them.
- Light a diya and incense sticks. Offer Bhog Prasad.
- Close your eyes and chant the Mantras invoking Lord Ganesha, Maa Lakshmi and Lord Kubera. While meditating on Maa Lakshmi, think of her being showered with gold coins by two elephants on either side as you chant her name.
Dhanteras Puja Shubh Muhurat:
- Dhanteras falls on 27th October 2016 this year.
- Dhanteras Puja Muhurat will last for 1 hr 23 minutes between 19.12 till 20.35 pm.
- Pradosh Kaal Muhurat is 18.04 till 20.35 pm. It is considered the best Muhurat for Dhanteras Puja as Sthir Lagna prevails during this Muhurat. It is believed that if Dhanteras Puja is performed during Sthir Lagna, Lakshmiji will stay in your home bringing prosperity and wealth to your home.
- Another Muhurat is Visharba Kaal, which lies between 19.12 till 21.12 pm.
Mantras to Chant During Dhanteras Puja:
Specific Mantras are chanted while performing Lakshmi Puja on Dahnteras
- Dhanteras Yamdeep Daan Mantra – Chanted while lighting a Diya or Deepak at the entrance of the house for Yama – the god of death, to prevent untimely death of any of the family members.
Mrutyunaam Paashasten Kaalen Bhaaryapaas Trayo|
Daasyaam DeepDaanam Suryaj TrichataaMeev||
Dhanteras Kuber Mantra
Dhandaay Namostubhyam Nidhipadmadhivayacha|
Bhavantu Tavtvaprasaadaaname Dhan Dhanyadisampadha||
Dhanteras Laxmi Mantra
Mahalaxmaye cha Vidmahe Vishnoo|
Patanyem cha Dhimahi Tanno Laxmi Prachodayat||